Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Food. Glorious Food.

For our last requirement in Comm3, we were made to interview an expert on our topic of choice. I had always wanted to interview a cosplayer thus I suggested it on our FB group but sadly some other group from the previous semester had already done it. Our approved topic was "tips for budding restaurantuers" and I had no idea who to interview. There are only three real, good chefs I know and they're the chef judges from Junior Master Chef.

And then I remembered Jeanie. (Sorry Jeanie, I just started texting you when I needed help with our project). And then she recommended Chef Sau Del Rosario.

Finally, after days of constructing the letter (with major revisions plus the 'cryptic' handwriting) and gaining enough guts to send him an email, he consented. (I was in the library when my group mates found out about ze reply and I was running all the way just to see it on the laptop). He really was kind enough to consider our request and to even allot time for us despite his very busy week.

Our interview with him lasted for forty five minutes and though the captured video was a total failure [don't remind me], the things we've learned from that interview was very much inspiring. [Because I was in a hurry to move on with my life, I had deleted the entire Comm3 folder and unfortunately, one of the files inside was the video of our interview with Chef Sau.]

One of the things which according to him made him levels higher than other young, beginner chefs was experience. He had asked us if we knew Ratatouille, his life in France as a cook was very much like that, well, except for the rat. It was in that place where he had to catch the live fish being thrown to him, having his butt kicked by the French cooks while he goes searching for the fish that just slipped away, crying by the river Seine (to which he adds: It might sound cliche but it happened to me) and calling his mom that he's almost about to give up and being encouraged to just go on in return.

Chef Sau, one of the most-recognized chefs in the country, had cooked for the Pope, the president and various other celebrities but he says, "I treat them all the same.All customers  deserve the best food, the best ingredients (60% ingredients, 40% skills) because they're paying for it." He had lots of other restaurants put up in various places all over the metro but Villa Cafe, his new 'baby' and the one where we had the interview, was one important place for him. The dishes served in the restaurant are from people close to Chef Sau; from those who had greatly influenced him on the course of his career. The adobo served in here, which I tell you is very delicious ( i don't know what else to say) is his mom's favorite.Other recipes are from his mentors,to which he just adds his own style; and there are lines written beside almost every dish in the menu, such as  "Chef Sau's comfort food" :)
Now these are real thin-sliced chips. I forgot whether this was potato or banana.


Pastel de Lengua. I was sweating as I was eating this  one, spicy and yummy.
And I particularly liked the way the meat(err, tongue) was cooked, I think the tenderness of
the meat strands has something to do with the overall taste of every meal.
I could've had removed all the sauce and the meal would still taste really good.
BUT since I prefer half-cooked veggies, the potato and carrots didn't really suit my taste. 
Lengua (again). The sauce tasted really great. Creamy enough to scream
"I'm the Lengua American version" but it wouldn't redirect your taste buds from the
lengua to the sauce. 

Pizza-Pampanga version. This tastes nothing like the pizza you  used to order  on some
pizza resto.
Banana Butter shake. Never really tasted this one. But according to my group mates,
it tastes more buttery than banana-ish

We had our picture taken with Chef Sau who before doing so had volunteered to wear his chef coat (I don't know what it's really called). Kitty, third from left, was a fan of Chef Sau and she actually dressed up for the interview. 



And though I wasn't able to finish my meal because it's good for two (not for one) and the waiters didn't even warn us :| getting the chance to interview one of the best Pinoy chefs around and being able to eat a dish he made is just like walking on sunshine.  

Nabusog ako,
ang sarap,
~good bye 500.
---------------------------------------------------
AND, thank you Jeanie . :)
Buot man gid siya. Just ike you said.
---------------------------------------------------

0 comments:

Post a Comment