Friday, May 28, 2010

Tell Me What's Your Costume


I was right there inside Booksale looking for something random. Something cheap.A book not costing more than 5o pesos. So, right there in front of all those hardbound books ranging from 50 to 100 (or so I think), I found Carol Shield's book: Dressing Up for the Carnival.

Okay. Don't get me wrong. But who wouldn't be scandalized by the cover. A headless woman and a colorful title. I checked the price. The tag says "Booksale 35.00". Now, this is a sign. I then started reading the whole front cover. [I can't remember the complete words but it goes like this] "From the Pulitzer winner for her Stone Diaries" [see illustration for true & complete details]

This is the real sign. I took the book without really having second thoughts, lined up, paid for it (and my sister's Winx mag) then carried it all the way home. I had no sling bag during that time.

It was a collection of witty, allegoric stories concerning the sarcastic human life. Now who wants that huh? [Shields might disagree to my description of her book].

Anyways, I never regretted buying that book. If I were Booksale's manager, I would've sold it for 5oo pesos. [I'm working with lights off. Low voltage dude!] I have been wondering, "How come the book went unnoticed? Do they not know who Carol Shields was?" [LOL. I don't even know who she was before reading that book.]

Windows
was my favorite story because it tells about how life would be without light. I mean "natural light." The main characters were two artists. They were married. No kids. Period.
Now, they were living during the time when they had to pay taxes for every square inch of windows they build.

Their marriage was in complete dryness. [They lack paints.LOL.] Well, I think mainly because they were of different philosophical ideas and styles not only in art but also in real life. They hardly speak to each other during that period. [Wife's POV]

One day, the wife discovered a piece of wood nailed to the wall. [Something like that; I'm not good in comprehension nor in memorization.] She decided to paint a glass window to create an illusion of light. She thought to herself, "How is it possible to make light dance on a flat surface, and how does anyone bring transparency to what is rigid and unyielding?". [Like I said earlier: Life without light is difficult.But isn't it more difficult to make a piece of wood look like a glass?] And everyday after that, she dedicated her life perfecting her masterpiece. Her husband then helped her finish it. And everything has been restored back to life because of that painting. (Clap!Clap!)

Now my favorite quotation...['tis gave me a new way of looking at a glass ] "Glass is green like water or blue like the sky or a rectangle of beaten gold when the setting sun strikes it or else a midnight black broken by starlight or the cold courteous reflection of the moon."

Ciao! Gonna dress down for now... [There was a story in there with this title. You wouldn't want to know what is it about.]


0 comments:

Post a Comment