Saturday, November 12, 2011

3rd of Part 1



the actions of discipline at home.
the parents.

Tatay. My brother and I had been hit by a number of things already ranging from the traditional leather belt (where our parents make us fetch ourselves), its metal buckle as well, the walis tingting not in bundles but in two's or three's (it's stingy), the piece of kawayan which was already cut to be a part of the flooring (inugsalog nga kawayan), the hanger which eventually ends up broken once it touches our hard butts and the luwagThe luwag is our alternative sud-an; it usually comes into action whenever we refuse to eat what's on our plates. It's either that or the liwit (the eel or *drumroll* the belt!).

The things listed above where those my brother and I shared. I, on the other hand, got more than that. Tatay once slapped my right face with a slipper because I said the G-word. We were never allowed to say that at home, at school, anywhere. And my brother and I would say them not to express our anger (if we ever know what expressing our anger means) but rather to anger our parents. We really know how to make the blood rush to their heads. One word is all it takes. The G-word is the push button.
Tatay's line: "Luwagon ta ka karon."
Nanay. Nanay, as I've said earlier, rarely uses the belt or the hitting method in general. She has this handy weapon in her--- her hands! She would pinch really thin portions of our skin and turn it until just a little less than 360 degrees
- and she knows we would all wish we never did whatever we did wrong in the first place.
Her target spots are either our legs or on 'that small portion I now know as the region just a little above the Tail of Spence." The second region, we dubbed as the one that "makes you grow taller". Why so? Every time she does the pinch on that part, there would always be an accompanying upward pull and thus, we are forced to stand tiptoe just so we could at least lessen the pain.
It was Nanay who had me and my brother ate green chili peppers because we said bad words. Those where the same chili peppers we grew near our house and which we fetched and ate ourselves, all under her command of course.

Nanay's line: "Gusto mo naman malubagan ay?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 comments:

Post a Comment