Monday, June 13, 2016

Waiting for the Known Unknown

I came to Manila last April with no viable career plans whatsoever, only a few certainties; first, that I'll be spending the future months getting a job and performing adequately in whichever workplace I'll get into, and that I still couldn't bring myself to going back and submitting the requirements in the tertiary hospital where I had most of my clinical experience. I have yet to find the courage in me to admit that I can function competently on a regular basis in such an environment.

Thankfully, an opportunity came. I had the chance to get my IV training at a nearby specialized tertiary hospital and where the assistant chief nurse is a kababayan who encouraged me to try applying for a position there.

Still waiting. Almost two months after submitting my resume, a month after taking the proficiency exams, and four days after going through a panel interview, I patiently wait for the results.

To be perfectly honest, I've never felt so inadequate in my life (since our Research defense last June 2015) as I did sitting right in the center of that long table, surrounded by the institution's department heads during the panel interview.

I guess I was squeaking in response to all the questions they were asking me the whole 10 minutes that the interview lasted. At the same time, I've never been so elaborate with my "passion" for research and community health than that exact moment when they asked me why I considered working for them more than anywhere else.



It makes me humbled and thankful to have found something to be passionate about in this early part of my nursing career. So much can happen in a span of one year and although my dreams of working in the marine science field is still far from over, the singular truth remains- Conservation is not a career but a lifestyle.

I guess I'll see later how everything turns out. For now, I try to learn and live as much as I can. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment